All-Butter Pastry Dough
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c molasses
4 T flour
1 T cornstarch
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
splash of vanilla
3 T unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 400.
Peel, core, slice apples. Mix all filling ingredients, except for the butter, and combine with sliced apples.
Roll out each disc of the All-Butter Pastry Dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch round. Place dough in prepared pie dish. Spoon in filling. Add chunks of butter on top of apples.
Roll out second dough disc to a 13-inch round. Drape dough over filling. Seal top and bottom edges and trim to a 1/2 inch overhang. Place extra dough aside.** Fold overhang under; crimp decoratively. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle sugar overtop.
With extra dough, combine and roll flat. Using any size muffin tin, cut extra dough to size and place in each hole. Add extra filling. Place in oven with pie.
Lower oven temperature to 375. Transfer pie to baking sheet and place in oven. Bake pie for 15 minutes, then cover with foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes more, until crust is golden brown, apples are tender, and filling is bubbling.
Cool for at least 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.
ACTIVE TIME: 40 MIN
START TO FINISH: 6 HR (INCLUDES MAKING DOUGH AND COOLING PIE)
Any kind of mild honey will work beautifully here. It will cook into a rich caramel, which coats the peaches and deepens their sweetness.
3 lb ripe peaches
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/4 cup mild honey
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
All-butter pastry dough
1 tablespoon whole milk
- Cut an X in bottom of each peach, then blanch peaches in batches in boiling water 15 seconds. Transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to stop cooking. Peel peaches and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges.
- Toss peaches well with cornstarch, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Put a foil-lined large baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bring 1/2 cup sugar, honey, and water to a boil in a 1 1/2- to 2-qt heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then wash down any sugar crystals from side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Boil without stirring, swirling pan occasionally so caramel colors evenly, until dark amber, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, swirling pan until butter is melted. Pour over fruit and toss (caramel may harden slightly but will melt in oven).
- Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining piece chilled) into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell while rolling out remaining dough.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough into an 11-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Transfer filling to pie shell, mounding it. Cover pie with pastry round. Trim with kitchen shears, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Press edges together, then crimp decoratively. Brush top all over with some of milk, then sprinkle with remaining Tbsp sugar. Cut 3 steam vents in top crust with a paring knife.
- Bake pie on hot baking sheet 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Continue to bake until crust is golden-brown and filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes more. Cool pie to room temperature, 3 to 4 hours.