Makes 4 servings
2 lbs beets, scrubbed, peeled and thinly sliced
6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
3 T olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 T orange juice
1 1/2 t sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
6 c mixed greens
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese**
1/3 c chopped walnuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 450.
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss beets and carrots with 1 1/2 T olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Allow to cool.
While vegetables are roasting, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens with half of the dressing and transfer to a serving platter. Toss the beets and the carrots with the remaining dressing and add to the platter. Add feta cheese and walnuts before serving.
**Remove cheese for Whole30.
1/2 c chopped celery or bok choy
1/2 c chopped carrots
1/2 c zucchini and or yellow squash
1/2 c chopped red onion
4-6 garlic cloves
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp hot dried peppers
1 jar of marinara sauce
Add or substitute vegetables as desired.
2 large eggs
16 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz skim shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350.
Chop vegetables and combine with italian seasoning and marinara sauce. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat eggs and combine with ricotta cheese.
In a 13×9 glass baking dish, layer vegetable sauce, then noodles, ricotta mix, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat 2 more times and end with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
via The Pioneer Woman
8 whole Beef Short Ribs
Kosher Salt and Pepper To Taste
1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
6 pieces Pancetta, Diced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 whole Carrots, Diced
2 whole Shallots, Peeled And Finely Minced
2 cups Red Or White Wine
2 cups Beef Or Chicken Broth (enough To Almost Cover Ribs)
2 sprigs Thyme
2 sprigs Rosemary
- Salt and pepper ribs, then dredge in flour. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, cook pancetta over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove pancetta and set aside. Do not discard grease.
- Add olive oil to pan with the pancetta grease, and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
- Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
- Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350 for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Ribs should be fork-tender and falling off the bone. Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving. At the last minute, skim fat off the top of the liquid. (Can also refrigerate mixture, then remove solid fat from the top.)
- Serve 2 ribs on bed of creamy polenta, spooning a little juice over the top.
via The Pioneer Woman